World's Best Workforce Plan
On an annual basis, our school district sends a comprehensive World's Best Workforce report to the Minnesota Department of Education that documents goals in these key areas:
- All children are ready for school
- All third-graders can read at grade level
- All racial and economic achievement gaps between students are closed
- All students are ready for career and college
- All students graduate from high school These goals are intended to indicate progress toward increase student performance and college and career readiness skills.
This report is presented to the public and the School Board at public meetings in the fall each year.
For our students to be ready for college and the workplace, we must have academic outcomes that support the state’s workforce. This is important for a number of reasons:
- Our population is aging
- Seventy percent (70%) of jobs will require more than a high school diploma by 2018
- We don’t have qualified candidates to fill many good-paying jobs
- The fastest growing segment of our future workforce is students of color, and they currently have the state’s lowest graduation rate
- Minnesota has one of the worst black-white achievement gaps in the country