Contacting a Multicultural LiaisonThe Multicultural Liaisons are officed on the first floor of the District Office
6311 Wayzata Boulevard
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Para información en español:
La xariir warbixin dheeraad ah ee Soomaali:
952-928-6017 (office)Julia McBride-BibbyMulticultural Liaison952-928-6059 (office)612-246-6049 (cell)St. Louis Park Strategic Plan
Community Collaboration: We will collaborate with our diverse communities authentically and systemically to build collective ownership and accountability to achieve our mission and mission outcomes in accordance with our core values.
We will collaborate with our diverse communities authentically and systemically to build collective ownership and accountability to achieve our mission and mission outcomes in accordance with our core values.
We serve all parents by acting as a liaison among parent, school, and community stakeholders to address parental questions, concerns, and efforts to create meaningful partnerships.
Advocating for Students and Families Helping Students Achieve Academic Success:
Our Multicultural Liaisons at St. Louis Parks Schools will work to provide resources and outreach services to families that contribute to school success. They will also advocate for families that are underrepresented to ensure that they understand the learning expectations for student achievement and school policies and procedures.
- Locate and mobilize community resources to support educational programs.
- Collaborate with school staff, principals and other personnel to implement promote student learning.
- Organize and coordinate family engagement events.
- Conduct home visits if needed to establish healthy and positive communication between the parent/guardian and school setting.
- Serve with the community agencies to partner with local business and organizations to provide the best resources to fit family’s needs.
- Partner with parents/guardian during teacher conference to help better understand student progress.
If you any questions or would like support in any of these areas please contact your school liaison
Engaging FamiliesWe know that involving parents and families in a child's education results in greater student achievement. To this end, Multicultural Liaisons work with school sites and the larger community, offering meaningful opportunities for English Learner (EL) families to learn about EL services in St. Louis Park, while connecting them to valuable academic resources.
Language-specific presentations engage families in their native language and help bridge the gap between families who may not speak English, and the larger school community. Presentations are available in Spanish and Somali.
Accessing Interpreters and TranslatorsIf staff need to request an interpreter or translator, they need to fill out the following Google form.
If staff need to request an interpreter or translator, they need to fill out the following Google form.
How Can a Cultural Liaison Help?
Our liaisons assist school staff and parents with school-related matters. Below are some things they can:
- Help families understand the American school system and help them fill out school paperwork such as forms for school registration, immunizations, Free & Reduced Lunch, transportation, scholarships, and more.
- Interpret home-school communications between staff and parents regarding academic and behavior matters.
- Interpret for early childhood screenings, special education assessments, parent meetings, and conferences.
- Encourage bilingual families to participate in parent-teacher conferences and attend those conferences to interpret for families.
- Serve as a resource to school staff about working with students and families from other cultures.
- The Minnesota Humanities Center (link is external) conducts bilingual and heritage language work that aims to preserve heritage languages and improve early literacy development.
- Reading Tips sheets for Parents (link is external) from Colorín Colorado - a bilingual site for educators and families of English language learners.
- Tips for Reading with Children (PSD) translated into 25 language