Fall 2020 School Start Taskforce
In May 2020 schools were closed for the remainder of the school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. With the continued spread of COVID-19, school districts across the state are uncertain about the model of educational delivery that will be used in the fall of 2020. The Minnesota Department of Education has asked Minnesota school districts to prepare for three scenarios:
- Return all students to school buildings following the most current CDC and MDH guidelines.
- Return students to school buildings implementing a hybrid model following the most current CDC and MDH guidelines.
- No students return to school buildings. Implement a distance learning model.
The purpose of the taskforce is to prepare a recommendation for the three educational delivery models that may be used to start the school year in the fall of 2020.
Research, best practices, and input from stakeholders will inform the work. The task force will be mindful of the school district budget and the economic impact to families. The group will seek consensus to make one or more recommendations to the superintendent by July 27, 2020. Taskforce members are expected to understand the impact of each option, and encourage the engagement, input and feedback of all stakeholders. This work will include recommendations for each scenario.
- Recommendation means a menu of various options for staff to consider when developing a program
- Research, best practices, and input from stakeholders will inform the work.
- The taskforce will be mindful of the school budget and the economic impact to families.
- Seek consensus to make one or more recommendations to the superintendent by July 27, 2020.
- Team members are expected to understand the impact of each option, and encourage the engagement, input and feedback of all stakeholders.
The District will seek input and feedback from all stakeholder groups twice during the study:
- June 2020: General input on beliefs on the topic
- July 2020: Feedback on proposed recommendations
Updates will be provided to staff via the internal newsletter, FLOW. Parents and the community will receive updates via School Messenger and regular communications channels.
All taskforce documentation will be posted publicly to the school district website (www.slpschools.org) to allow stakeholders to follow the work and stay informed on the progress of the taskforce.
TIME REQUIREMENT/MEETING SCHEDULE:
Taskforce members will meet in a series of four (4) meetings held via Zoom (online meeting platform) and be asked to participate in seeking input and feedback from stakeholder groups during the process.
Suggested Meeting Schedule:
- June 5 -10: Recruit & Seek Participants
- June 11, 2020: Select task force Members
- June 15, 2020: Meeting #1
- June 15-26: General Input
- June 29, 2020: Meeting #2
- July 9, 2020: Meeting #3
- July 13-21, 2020: Feedback on Proposed Recommendation(s)
- July 23, 2020: Meeting #4 & Recommendation(s) to the Administration
Each meeting will last for a period of two and a half hours: 10:00 AM - 12:30PM
Taskforce members will serve voluntarily with a sincere THANK YOU from the District and recognition at the completion of the study by the School Board. The District will support the study and all execution from its general budget.
Meeting #1 Documents - June 15, 2020
Agenda | Meeting Notes | Family Distance Learning Survey Results | MDH COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Youth, Student and Childcare Programs | CDC Considerations for Schools | MDE Communication | Human-Centered Design Process Overview
Meeting #2 Documents - June 29, 2020
Meeting #3 Documents - July 9, 2020
Agenda | Distance Learning Recommendations | In School Learning Recommendations | Hybrid Model Recommendations | Student Survey Data | Parent/Guardian Survey Data | Teacher/Staff Survey Data | MSBA Fall 2020 School Reopening Guidance | Guidelines to Support Social-Emotional Wellness and Mental Health |
Meeting #4 Documents - July 23, 2020
Agenda | ThoughtExchange Final Report | ThoughtExchange Top 10 Thoughts | Executive Order 20-81 Regarding Face Masks | Distance Learning Revised Recommendations | In School Learning Revised Recommendations | Hybrid Model Revised Recommendations | Social and Emotional Learning Revised Recommendations