How Do I...

  • How do I excuse my student for sickness or other absences?
    • Report a student's sickness or absence within 24 hours: 952-928-6045
    • Messages are checked several times each day between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
    • Students are responsible for contacting their teachers or checking Schoology regarding missed work
    • Only legal guardians may excuse a student's absence
    How do I sign my student out for appointments? 
    • Students can bring a note to the Student Office before school and they will receive a pass to leave class at the time requested
    • OR students can return to school with a note and absence will be excused
    • OR a student's parent or guardian can leave a message on the attendance line within 24 hours of the appointment and absence will be excused
    • Parents do not need to come into the building when picking up and dropping off students 
    How do I check my student's grades and attendance?
    • PowerSchool is the online tool that allows parents/guardians and students to view student's attendance, tardies, grades, and assignments
    • PowerSchool has a mobile app
    • Use the St. Louis Park Public Schools Code FSTD. Contact Deb Muralt with questions: 952-928-6106 or

    How do I contact my student's teachers?

    • Teachers' email addresses are available in the online Staff Directory, PowerSchool and Schoology.
    • Attend teacher-parent conferences or schedule a meeting with teachers and counselors. 

    How to seek academic support for my student?

    Schedule Changes & Registration: Your student's grade level counselor assists with registration for classes and schedule changes

    The Learning Lab: This is a place for all students to obtain academic support, guidance, and enrichment. Staff is available during school hours to assist with writing, math, AP, IB, conflict resolution, and more.

    The Career and College Readiness (CCR) Program: This program assists a student in developing their individual career/post-secondary education plan and helps them navigate the process. The CCR website is full of resources for any post-high school planning and the CCR Center is located in B220 at the High School.

    Non-Traditional Academy (NTA): This program is available to invited seniors. Academic core classes and vocational guidance is provided in a team taught setting. Contact Tyschorna Belcher for more information at 952-928-6143 or

    College Possible: This is a non-profit organization working with students beginning sophomore year 

    English Learners (EL): EL students receive specialized instruction. Qualified students whose primary language is not English receive additional support in instruction of academic English. This instruction assists EL students in acquiring skills that enhance their learning and progress in school. Interpretation and translation services are provided as families require them, enabling the parents to have an active role in supporting their child's education 

    PLATO: This is available to invited students and is a standards-based online learning program. PLATO provides courses in a wide range of core subjects and electives. Courses consist of integrated assessment; including pretests that allow learners to skip content they have already mastered and focus on the concepts that need additional work. 

    Special Education: If your child is attending school and your are concerned with his/her academic progress, suspect he/she may have a disability, which is impacting his/her progress, or have medical or mental health diagnoses, which may be affecting his/her learning, please contact a teacher or counselor. School staff members are familiar with the process for referral for a special education evaluation.

    Gifted and Talented Services: The Gifted and Talented program offers participating students assitance with individual course selection, the college application process, as well as post-secondary options. Contact Al Wachutka for more information at 952-928-6284 or

    HAP: This is a program designed to encourage and motivate students to achieve their highest level of success. Working with teachers, counselors, and parents, HAP is a support system for students throughout their high school career. 

    How do I request language translation assistance?

    St. Louis Park Public Schools employs three Multicultural Liaisons that can assistance with language translation:

    Carmen Rudin | Spanish | 952-928-6438 (Office) or 952-836-7237 (Mobile) |
    Tarabi Jama | Somali | 952-928-6423 (Office) or 952-847-0446 (Mobile) | 
    Julia McBride-Bibby | Multicultural Liaison | 952-928-6xxx (Office) | 

    How do I located lost belongings?

    • The lost and found is located in the Student Office (952-928-6169)
    • Items are kept up to 30 days and then discarded or donated

    How do I drop something off for my student?

    • If you need to drop off an item for your student during the school day, please come to the Student Office, Door #1
    • Medicine should be brought to the Health Aide

    How do I put money in my student's meal account?

    • Breakfast, lunch, salad and snack bar options are available for purchase
    • Students use their individual lunch number, which is newly assigned in 9th grade and remains the same until graduation
    • Learn how to set up and add money to lunch accounts HERE

    How do I learn more about testing dates and policies?

    • Visit the Testing Calendar page under the Parents/Community tab. This page includes all testing dates as well as opt-out information and forms. 

    How do I register to attend St. Louis Park High School?

    • For St. Louis Park residents: Contact the Counseling Office (phone: 952-928-6123) at the High School to make an appointment to register your student. Please bring a current copy of the child’s immunization record, birth certificate, a copy of their current transcript and proof of St. Louis Park residency (utility bill or a purchase or rental agreement).
    • For open enrollment: Non-residents of the St. Louis Park Public Schools can apply for Open Enrollment through the state of Minnesota's Enrollment Options Program. For further information about open enrollment or to obtain an application please email or call 952-928-6023.

    How do I visit during school hours?

    • St. Louis Park High School is a closed campus. We do not allow visitors during school hours without an appointment. 

    How do I purchase a parking pass?

    • Parking passes are available for all students with a valid Driver's License and no outstanding obligations (missing books, lunch balances, etc.)
    • Parking passes are $50 and available at the start of each semester until they sell out.
    • Vehicles parked in designated lots without a valid parking pass may be towed. 

    How do I sign my student up for Driver's Education?

    How do I get involved at the High School?

    • Stay up-to-date by reading the weekly newsletter 6425 News
    • Join the Parent-Staff Engagement Group. To participate on the new parent/staff group, please contact High School Assistant Principal Jessica Busse at or High School Volunteer representative Carrie Jennissen at
    • Attend the informal "Coffee with the Principal" conversations. For more information, contact Deb Muralt in the Principal's Office at 952-928-6106 or
    • Join the Career Pathway Advisory Board, a group of community members working cooperatively with school officials to advise, assist and support the Academy Programs of Study. 

    How do I request an academic transcript?

    • Call the transcript request line for instructions: 952-928-6053 
    • Transcript requests must be made in writing.
    • Cost is $5 per request.
    • Requests will be fulfilled within 10 business days. 

    Where do I find information about Athletics and Athletic events?

     Where can I get more information on the senior all night party (SANP)?