Frequently Asked Questions
How do I contact…
· Attendance – 952-928-6394
· Front Office – 952-928-6300
· Lost & Found – Front Office: 952-928-6300
· Principal – Les Bork: 952-928-6302 or firstname.lastname@example.org
· Assistant Principal – Jason Boll: 952-928-6304 or email@example.com
· Principal’s Secretary – Wanda Drenth-Iverson: 952-928-6395 or firstname.lastname@example.org
· School Nurse – Health Aide: 952-928-6311
· Library Media Center (LMC) – 952-928-6341
· Special Education – Laura Scherbenske: 952-928-6365 or email@example.com
· IB Coordinator – Mia Waldera: 952-928-6349 or firstname.lastname@example.org
· Gifted & Talented – Lisa Lillie: 952-928-6385 or email@example.com
· Deans – academic, behavioral, social needs of students
8th grade: Randy Zutz, 952-928-6305 or firstname.lastname@example.org
7th grade: Gina Magnuson, 952-928-6306 or email@example.com
6th grade: Delana Brinkman, 952-928-6303 firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the best way to contact my child's teachers?
· Teachers’ email addresses and phone numbers are available in the “Staff Directory” section of the website www.slpschools.org/ms
· Teachers’ can also be contacted through Schoology and Power School
What are the official school hours?
· Student School Day – 7:33am-2:15pm; doors open at 7:15am
· Office Hours – 7:30am-4:30pm
Who do I contact for absences (illness, appointments, or other)?
· Report that a student is ill by 7:30 am. Call 952-928-6394 or email email@example.com
· For appointments, students must bring a note from a parent or guardian to the Student Services office in the morning. Staff will give students a pass to leave class at the designated time
· You must come into office and sign out your student at the designated time
· If a student is late to school or returning from an appointment they must have a note and check in at the Student Services Office. Staff will give them a note to return to class
· Students are responsible for contacting their teachers or checking PowerSchool regarding missed work
What are A or B days?
· Schedules alternate every other day; most classes meet every day, electives meet every other day
· The weekly Oriole Times email includes the upcoming week’s schedule or contact the front office click here to see student schedules and A/B scheduleWhat is Modified Block Schedule?
- On Wednesday, periods 1, 3, 5 and 7 and on Thursday periods 2, GO, 4 and 6 will meet for approximately 90 minutes.
What is PowerSchool?
· The online tool that allows parents/guardians and students to view student's attendance, grades, and assignments online
· Information to sign-up for PowerSchool will be included in the summer back-to-school mailing
What is Schoology?
· District’s digital learning tool
· Teachers use it to post assignments, create discussion boards/blogs, and implement other instructional resources and tools
· Students use it to access, complete and submit assignments when required
What is the Oriole Times News or OT News?
· A weekly email newsletter for parents and families sent every Friday
· Contains timely information regarding schedules, events and news
· To change your email address, please call the front office
Other Important Middle School terms:
· OT: Meets three times a week
· GO: A class period that allows for additional instruction for students who need the academic support. All students are assigned a GO enrichment class. This enrichment includes topics outside of the standard curriculum to broaden the educational experience. If your child gets additional help, you will be notified via phone.
· Ninth Hour: 2:15-2:55 (except Wednesdays) teachers can assign students to work on and/or complete specific assignments or projects; the 3:00 bus is available for students who participate
Is personal technology allowed at school?
· During the school day (from 7:33 a.m.-2:15 p.m.) all personal electronic devices may only be used with staff permission and supervision. This applies to school sponsored trips during the school day as well as after school. Staff will confiscate items that are not being used responsibily.
· The school is not responsible for these items if they are lost, stolen or broken
What are the lunch options?
· There are four lunch periods
· Hot lunch, cold sandwich, salad, and snack bar options are available for purchase
· Students are assigned a new individual lunch number in 6th grade; it remains the same for 7th & 8th grades
· Add money to student accounts through the PayPams automated online payment system or cash or checks may be dropped off at the main office
· More information is available at www.slpschools.org, (click on departments then nutrition) and www.PayPams.com
· Questions? Contact Judy at 952-928-6348 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Site Council?
· A group of parents and staff that serve the Middle School by advising the administration and supporting student enrichment through fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and event planning
· Site Council typically meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month (except December and March) at 3:45pm in the LMC, September - May
· Questions and feedback are encouraged at email@example.com
What should I expect for fundraisers?
· SLP Middle School participates in a direct donation drive
· Families are encouraged to make a direct donation to the middle school and talk to their place of employment about a corporate match
· You may also contribute in the following way:
- Collect & turn in Box Tops for Education at conferences or drop off in the office anytime
- Amazon Smile - Select the St. Louis Park Middle School and a portion of all sales at www.smile.amazon.com goes to the Middle School
Still have questions? Let us help!
· Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions