Frequently Asked Questions
How do I contact…
Attendance – 952-928-6394
Front Office – 952-928-6300
Lost & Found – Front Office: 952-928-6300
Principal – Les Bork: 952-928-6302 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Principal – Jason Boll: 952-928-6304 or email@example.com
Principal’s Secretary – Wanda Drenth-Iverson: 952-928-6395 or firstname.lastname@example.org
School Nurse & Health Aide: 952-928-6311
Library Media Center (LMC) – 952-928-6341
Special Education – Adam Naatz: 952-928-6337 or email@example.com
IB Coordinator – Mia Waldera: 952-928-6349 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gifted & Talented – Lisa Lillie: 952-928-6385 or email@example.com
Deans – academic, behavioral, social needs of students
- 6th grade: Gina Magnuson, 952-928-6306 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th grade: Randy Zutz, 952-928-6305 or email@example.com
- 8th grade: Delana Brinkman, 952-928-6303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the best way to contact my child's teachers?
- Teacher email addresses and phone numbers are available in the “Staff Directory” section of the website
- Teachers can also be contacted through Schoology and PowerSchool
What are the official school hours?
- Student School Day – 9:15 a.m. - 3:52 p.m.; doors open at 8:55 a.m.
- Office Hours – 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Who do I contact for absences (illness, appointments, or other)?
- Report that a student is ill by 9:00 a.m. Call 952-928-6394 or email email@example.com
- For appointments, students must bring a note from a parent or guardian to the Student Services office in the morning. Staff will give students a pass to leave class at the designated time
- You must come into office and sign out your student at the designated time
- If a student is late to school or returning from an appointment they must have a note and check in at the Student Services Office. Staff will give them a note to return to class
- Students are responsible for contacting their teachers or checking PowerSchool regarding missed work
What are A or B days?
- Schedules alternate every other day; most classes meet every day, electives meet every other day
- The weekly Oriole Times e-newsletter includes the upcoming week’s schedule or contact the front office click hereto see student schedules and A/B schedule
What is PowerSchool?
- The online tool that allows parents/guardians and students to view student's attendance, grades, and assignments online
- Information to sign-up for PowerSchool will be included in the summer back-to-school mailing
What is Schoology?
- District’s digital learning tool
- Teachers use it to post assignments, create discussion boards/blogs, and implement other instructional resources and tools
- Students use it to access, complete and submit assignments when required
What is the Oriole Times News or OT News?
- A weekly email newsletter for parents and families sent every Friday
- Contains timely information regarding schedules, events and news
- To change your email address, please call the front office
Other Important Middle School terms:
Advisory: Meets five times a week
Wednesday Morning Homework Help: 8:05-9:00 (on Wednesdays) teachers can assign students to work on and/or complete specific assignments or projects; Students can come in for specific homework help.
Is personal technology allowed at school?
- During the school day (from 9:15 a.m. - 3:58 p.m.) all personal electronic devices may only be used with staff permission and supervision. This applies to school sponsored trips during the school day as well as after school. Staff will confiscate items that are not being used responsibly.
- The school is not responsible for these items if they are lost, stolen or broken
What are the lunch options?
- There are four lunch periods
- Hot lunch, cold sandwich, salad, and snack bar options are available for purchase
- Students are assigned a new individual lunch number in 6th grade; it remains the same for grades 7 and 8
- Add money to student accounts through the Wordware automated online payment system or cash or checks may be dropped off at the main office
- More information is available at slpschools.org/nutrition
- Questions? Contact Judy at 952-928-6348 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Site Council?
- A group of parents and staff that serve the Middle School by advising the administration and supporting student enrichment through fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and event planning
- Site Council typically meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month (except December and March) in the afternoons. Meetings will be virtual for the 2020-21 year.
- Questions and feedback are encouraged at email@example.com
What should I expect for fundraisers?
- SLP Middle School participates in a direct donation drive
- Families are encouraged to make a direct donation to the middle school and talk to their place of employment about a corporate match
- You may also contribute in the following way:
- We participate in Box Tops for Education and everything is done electronically
- Amazon Smile - Select the St. Louis Park Middle School and a portion of all sales at smile.amazon.com goes to the Middle School
Still have questions? Let us help!
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions